The Capitol Centre’s goal is to bring people and the community together through the world of arts. As a volunteer, your job is to ensure the safety and security of our patrons and to act as tactful ambassadors of goodwill to the public attending performances. You are a vital component of this goal, as you are the public face of the organization and an essential part of the team.
There are lots of reasons to become a volunteer at the Capitol Centre...
- Get involved in the arts "behind the scenes"
- Gain work experience
- Explore new skills and interests
- Meet new people
- View a variety of shows and concerts
- Help support an non-profit organization and important historical landmark
- Getting your required volunteer hours for graduation
Time spent at the Capitol Centre can provide a whole new skill set:
- Learn to work independently and as part of a team
- Build confidence and become more extroverted
- Improve communication skills
- Enhance your resume
- Connect with like-minded people
- Become more comfortable dealing with the public
- Increase your adaptability
We have a variety of volunteer opportunities available:
- Front of House: Ushers, ticket takers, coat checkers, concession attendants, and bartenders. Interact with our patrons and get an up-close view of our performances.
- Bingo (Must be 18+): The Capitol Centre is one of the many non-profit organizations at Blue Sky Bingo (420 Airport Road). We have a number of bingo teams in rotation, and each team has a captain. Volunteers will assist with the set-up and selling of bingo cards, as well as any other needed tasks.
- WKP Kennedy Gallery: Volunteers work with the Gallery Coordinator and other gallery staff to assist with program exhibits and special events. Duties may include installing exhibits, arranging receptions, guiding group visits, assisting with mailing, and monitoring the Gallery during public hours.
- Special Events: The Capitol Centre hosts a number of special events throughout the year, including our annual Hops & Vines gala, Bluesfest and Children's Festival. Volunteers are needed to help with all of the phases of these occasions.
The Volunteer section of the FAQs also covers some of the common questions we receive.
I want to volunteer – now what?
1. Download and print the application form from our website (link below) or come to the Capitol Centre at 150 Main Street East to pick up a print copy. They’re available at the Box Office and can be returned there as well.
2. Fill out the application form and return it to the Box Office.
3. Once we’ve received your application, we’ll set up a meeting to discuss your skills, interests, and our placement opportunities.
4. All of our volunteers attend Volunteer Orientation to familiarize themselves with the layout of building, their responsibilities, and other important information.
5. Welcome aboard! You’re now a part of the Capitol Centre’s volunteer team.
Want to get involved or find out more?
Contact Leslie Cerisano at email@example.com.
Photo by Brian Tremblay of Polar Studios!