The Capitol Centre’s goal is to bring people and the community together through the world of arts. As a volunteer, your job is to ensure the safety and security of our patrons and to act as tactful ambassadors of goodwill to the public attending performances. You are a vital component of this goal, as you are the public face of the organization and an essential part of the team.
There are lots of reasons to become a volunteer at the Capitol Centre...
- Get involved in the arts "behind the scenes"
- Gain work experience
- Explore new skills and interests
- Meet new people
- View a variety of shows and concerts
- Help support a non-profit organization and an important historical landmark
- Getting your required volunteer hours for graduation
Time spent at the Capitol Centre can provide a whole new skill set:
- Learn to work independently and as part of a team
- Build confidence and become more extroverted
- Improve communication skills
- Enhance your resume
- Connect with like-minded people
- Become more comfortable dealing with the public
- Increase your adaptability
What volunteer opportunities does the Capitol Centre offer?
The Capitol Centre has 3 main avenues of volunteering:
- FOH volunteering refers to all volunteer positions that take place in the Betty Speers Theatre. This includes, Ushering, Concession, Ticket Takers, and Merchandisers.
WKP Kennedy Gallery
- Volunteers work with the Gallery Director/Curator and other Gallery staff to assist with rotating exhibits and special events. Duties include installing/de-installing exhibits, convening receptions, guiding group visits, and monitoring the Gallery during business hours.
- As a non-profit organization, we rely on fundraising as a major source of revenue. Bingo volunteers play a vital role in fundraising for the Centre. Our Bingo slot is every other 2 weeks on a Thursday evening at Blue Sky Bingo Hall, and we rotate teams of volunteers. Bingo teams consist of two volunteers, one of which is a Team Captain. Bingo volunteers must be 18+.
- On an ongoing basis the Capitol Centre hosts numerous special events such as festivals, weddings, dance competitions, fundraisers, corporate events, etc. We can also accommodate volunteers interested in non-patron-facing roles.
How old do you have to be to volunteer at the Capitol Centre?
We have volunteer opportunities available for anyone 14 years of age or older.
For any other questions about the Capitol Centre’s volunteer program, please contact the Audience Services Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org or 705-474-1944 ext. 224.)